Mob Programming Workshop: A Whole Team Approach
Mob Programming: All the brilliant people working on the same thing, at the same time, in the same place, and on the same computer.
Mob Programming is a cost-effective, collaborative and fun way to get work done together. It's a whole-team approach to development, where coding, designing, testing, and working with the "customer" (partner, Product Owner, User, etc.) is all done as a team.
Participants in this workshop experience a day of learning and doing Mob Programming. We cover the mechanics of how to work together as a Mob as well as the techniques that make this form of development so effective.
We'll learn how a Mob performs sample project work, including user stories, prioritization, test-driven development, refactoring, and retrospectives.
Designed and facilitated by Mob Programming pioneer Woody Zuill, this workshop provides a hands-on education in the art of mobbing and it's significant benefits for your teams.
- How 5+ people can be effective working on just one thing
- Heuristics for team size
- Guidelines for successful collaboration
- Handling competing solutions and ideas to a coding problem
- Encouraging politeness and kindness of team members
- Reducing or eliminating harmful conflicts
- Mobbing Mechanics
- Tools for team coding
- Workspace setup
- How to "Amplify Learning" and take advantage of continual learning opportunities
- "Real-time" and continuous Retrospectives to reflect, tune, adjust
- The theory of why Mob Programming is effective.
- Test-Driven Development (TDD) as a team
- Working with Product Owners, Business Experts, Testers, Designers as part of the team
- Refactoring as a team
- Continuous feedback at all levels of granularity
Hands-on Exercises, Presentation, Interactive Dialogues, Simulations, Videos
- Introduction: Mob Programming Introduction, The basics of how it works
- Activity: The nature of software development
- Activity: Teamwork - a good thing
- Driver/Navigator teamwork Roles and Techniques
- Coding Dojo Demonstration: A simple demo of Mob Programming with volunteers from the participants.
- Advanced Mob Programming Concepts - Hands on coding
- Coding Exercise: Working on a Sample Project, learning to work together using a few rules
- Amplified Learning, How to take advantage of learning opportunities
- Continuing the Coding Exercise: Removing the rules
- Retrospective and review, group discussion of what weâ€™ve learned